Sport and cutural leasure activities nearby
The Camping du Sabot opens the door to the Pays des Sucs (volcano crater rocks) and to the high tablelands of Mézenc, rich in their rural heritage and in their landscapes strongly marked by the effects of volcanism.
From the sources de la Loire to the fertile plains of Limagne, from the deep valleys of the Loire to the running waters of the river Allier, from the Mézenc mounts to the Massif du Meygal, nature lovers and ramblers will be delighted to pace the 3000 km (1875 miles) of PR paths.
Those who are fond of old stones and historic monuments will find an opportunity to satisfy their passion in every village, at Puy en Velay, sur les terres du marquis de La Fayette et de Rochebaron… and on the lands of the Marquis de Lafayette and Roche baron.
It will take anglers just a few minutes to find the banks of the Lignon and those of the Loire sauvage (wild Loire).
- A 21 km canoeing down the Gorges of the Loire (13 miles).
- The new Aquatic Center of the O.Z.E.N at Monistrol sur Loire ( 10 mn away ) and that called La Vague at Le Puy en Velay.
- Sailing, pedal-boating, bathing on the very nice lake Lavalette (20 mn).
- Aquatic Park AQUAFOLIE in Vorey (2 big water-slides, a warmed open air swimming-pool…).
- Leisure base in Aurec on the side of the Loire (pedal-boating, canoeing…).
- Trout fishing in the Lignon and the Dunière rivers, 2nd category fishing in the Lavalette Lake or in the Loire.
For the enthusiasts of tree-top circuits and climbing
- Several tree-top climbing sites:
- La Séauve sur Semène, 15 mn away,
- Le Chambon sur Lignon,
- Les Estables.
- Numerous mountain-climbing sites:
- The Grazac site,
- The Rocher de la Base in Retournac,
- The Suc des Ollières near Yssingeaux,
- The Rocher de Costaros…
- Practising the Via Ferrata:
- From the Puy des Juscles to Pertuis,
- From the Rochers de la Miramande to St Jean Lachalm.
For walking, pedal-rail, cycling, horse-riding, cani-rando (trekking with dogs)
- Vélo-rail (pedal-rail) of Dunières and its long tunnel (30 mns drive).
- Touristic train of the Velay (nearby Tence).
- Green trails (for walking, cycling, horse-riding securely): Several sections exist, among which the Viafluvia (Loire-Rhône link).
- Mountain-bike trails.
- Riding school in centers and farms in Beauzac, Retournac, Beaulieu, Tence…
- Trekking with dogs in Sainte-Ségolène.
- Innumerable trails for trekking:
- The Suc des Ollières (1186 m high),
- The Suc de Saussac (1149 m high),
- The Gorges of the Loire,
- The Massif du Meygal (1436 m high),
- The Peak of the Lizieux (1388 m high),
- The Mont Mézenc (1753 m high)…
- Let us not forget the broad expanses of forests offering an opportunity to pick mushrooms (ceps, chanterelles, parasol mushrooms, delicious lacteous mushrooms…).
For those who love old stones, museums, markets
- The town Le Puy en Velay (30 mn), an exceptional site written in the world heritage of Unesco. Starting point of the way to St Jacques de Compostelle (Santiago de Compostela).
- The great Regional Market of Yssingeaux, which gathers numerous local producers every Thursday morning.
- The old villages Moudeyres and Bigorre offering a striking view to discover.
- The numerous shows and museums:
- Show of birds of prey at Château de Rochebaron,
- The Museum of lace factories in Retournac,
- The Farm Museum of the Perrel brothers in Moudeyres,
- The miniature Park of the Lauzière and its magnificent blue lake,
- The Polignac Fortress,
- The museum of the scythe and of working life in Pont-Salomon,
- The “Fête Renaissance du Roi L’Oiseau” in Puy en Velay (September).
Mechanical sports, paragliding, golf…
For those who seek sensations or open air sports:
- Four-wheel biking at Yssingeaux and St Jeures,
- Go-karting at St Paulien,
- Motorbiking at Yssingeaux,
- Gyropode Segway at Tence,
- Golf Pitch and Putt 18 holes at Bas-en-Basset,
- Paragliding at Les Estables.
And to finish, a little further…
- Saint Etienne : the city of Design, the Mine museum, and the Musée des Verts (the Greens) which commemorates a great epoch of the local football team in the 70’s.
- The Mont Gerbier de Jonc (source of the Loire).
- Lyon, The city of Lights (one hour drive).